Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday--Grand Central Station

Monday morning we woke up to cloudy skies. Such a letdown after a beautiful day on Sunday with a temp in the 80's.  Today we needed to get to the Finnish Consulate for 9 am. We wanted to be there early, because they are only open until noon.  I was debating if we should take a taxi down there just to make sure we would make it there on time and the forecast of rain and thunderstorms.  Jenica encouraged me, "nah, we can go on the subway, it's only 4 blocks to walk."  Okay, so away we went.  Half way to the subway the rain started.  Half way, my joints in my right foot were bothering me. Should of known my rheumatoid would start acting up with the change of weather. Shooooot!  I forgot my Ibuprofen.  At the same time, she realized she needed a felt pen to sign on her pictures.  Thankfully, there was a drugstore by the subway.  I was in such pain by that point, I waited and she ran and got what we needed.  Of course, I had just bougt ibuprofen the night before!  So, we finally made it to the subway, hair all wet, clothes damp--squished on the full subway, glasses all steamy, hands all slippery trying to hang onto the metal poles..get the picture?  And ta-dah--we made it to Grand Central Station.  Wow!







The main information booth is in the center of the concourse.  Typically the main meeting place for people.  The four faced clock on top of the info booth is the most recognizable icon of Grand Central.  Each of the four clock faces is made from opal. Both Sotheby's and Christie's have estimated the value to be between $10 and $20 million.  Withinin the marble and brass pagoda lies a secret door that conceals a spiral staircase leading to the lower level info booth.
  
This clock has the world's largest example of Tiffany glass and is surrounded by sculptures carved by John Donnelly Company and designed by a French sculptor.  
Did you know it's the largest train station in the world?  According to Travel and Leisure magazine, it is the world's 6th most visited tourist attraction.  It opened in 1971, 44 platforms and 67 tracks, 2 levels.  Also, has lots of shops and restaurants.

And so we finally found the door we needed to exit out of to walk to the Finnish Consulate, it's only 4 blocks or so.  We opened the door and it is pouring down rain!!!!  What are we going to do?  Should we call a cab? My foot is still throbbing.  Jenica says, "It's only four blocks, we can do it!"  Meanwhile, I am worried about my camera bag getting wet, her papers getting wet, my foot throbbing...."  And then on the right there is a black man selling umbrella's ..shouting out  "UMBRELLAS, 5 dollah, 12 dollah, 17 dollah"  Yep, yep, we will take 2 of the 5 dollah!  And away we went.

After a couple blocks, I asked Jen if she was sure this was the right way? She looked at the map again. Um, nope, we need to the other way! "sigh"   So, back again, dodging umbrellas, jumping over puddles, pants wet and soaking wet from the knees down, wind would blow the umbrellas inside out sometimes, and here we are walking in a thunderstorm. But, hey so is everyone else!  Sidewalks were crowded.  Pedestrians ignored the "do not walk signs"..why bother, it's raining and the yellow taxis honk anyways!   So finally found our way walking 9 blocks in the rain!!!  By the time we got there, we were drenched rats, sore and tired!  We finally got our umbrellas back in the bag, patted our wet heads, wiped our shoes on the rug for a loooong time and entered the United Nations Plaza.  It is so quiet in here. Squeak, squish, squish, ooooh felt so good to feel the water in our shoes!  The stern uniformed guy showed us how to sign in the book. Jenica took her turn and promptly dumped her wallet. Of course, couldn' t help but get the giggles. The uniformed guy didn't think it was too funny!  So, finally made our way up to the consulate---building was just tooo quiet--the squeaking and squishing continued.  Got situated in the small reception area in the consulate with three other people.  So quiet, don't even dare move.  A little cough just echos and everyone looks at you and stares.  And all of a sudden, a guy comes running in with squeaky shoes, luggage and looking like a drench rat as well.  He gets seated.  Everyone follows his moves. All is quiet. The squeaky man gets up and goes to the receptionist, "do you have a restroom where I can release some moisture?"  I looked at Jen and about lost it...had to bite my lip!!!  All is quiet again..aha, pulled out my phone and texted her across the room to see if she needed to go release some moisture........

So...will follow up with the rest of the day later.....

9 comments:

  1. Love the run down of getting there & the realsing moisture story!! Had a great laugh:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wondering if you had to relieve some moisture... I love it. Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahhh ... hahaha! I also loved the 'release some moisture' bit! I think I'll steal the phrase and put it into use! I'm totally enjoying this visit to NYC with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just noticed a typo..Grand Central was opened in 1871, not 1971.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! I'm surprised you didn't bust up laughing. I mean, seriously, HOW could you not? Can't wait for more.... joleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I as well love the "release some moisture" phrase! I glad I was not with as I am sure I would have busted out laughing and probably would not have able to stop. They probably would have kicked me out for breaking the silence. Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Believe me, we laughed about "release some moisture" all day long. It was one of our favorite sayings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOLOLOL!! Thanks for the hearty chuckle!

    ReplyDelete