Friday, May 25, 2012

Venturing into the Big Apple

Sunday turned out to be a glorious sunny day with a temp of 85F.  It felt good to sleep in and laze around in the morning.  Queensboro Hotel was a comfy place to be. A helpful front desk clerk gave us a map and showed us when, where and what to do!  We took the hotel's free shuttle down to Central Park.  We chatted with a fun a couple from New Zealand on the way.  I looooooooooooooove their accent! We decided to walk around Central Park and then daringly HOP on the subway and go exploring wherever we felt like going..no real plan!

Walking to Central Park, admiring the architecture!

I  L-O-V-E  IT!!!
View of the the city from Central Park



 Lots of statues in the park. I always like to find out what and why, so skip over if you are bored!  :)

The 107th Infantry Memorial is dedicated to the men served in  WW1. The memorial shows seven men. The one to the far right carrying two Mills bombs, while supporting the wounded soldier next to him.  To his right another infantryman rushes towards the enemy positions, while the helmet less squad leader and another soldier are approaching the enemy with bayonets fixed.  The the far left, one soldier is holding a mortally wounded soldier, keep him on his feet. Designed and sculpted by Karl Illava.


All kinds of rocks, hills, ponds, trees--the park is huge! Some fun facts about Central Park--
250 acres of lawns, 24,000 trees, 150 acres of lakes and streams, 130 acres of woodlands, 9000 benches, 26 ball fields, 21 playgrounds, 55 sculptures and monuments, 36 bridges, remove graffiti within  24 hours, collect over 5 millions pounds of trash a year!



 Walter Scott--a popular historical novelist, poet, and playwright.

Mmm, wouldn't that be fun to go on that bus???



Balto was dedicated to the sled dogs that led several dogsled teams through a snow-storm in the winter of 1925 in order to deliver medicines that would stop a diptheria epidemic in Nome, Alaska.



Christopher Columbus

 We were chuckling, everyone was out in the park today. Sunbathing, picnics, family time.

Doesn't that look like fun?  Only $50 for a 20 minute ride into the park.

That's all for tonight folks...Sunday adventure will continue tomorrow.
Stay tuned....

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see more. I had no idea Central Park was THAT big! Thanks for the info on the sculptures - I hate when people post pics and I have no idea what they are. I love the New Zealand/Australian accents too. I have a cousin that lives on Kangaroo Island and I love listening to her husband talk! Now it's time for you to get up and post more pics! Joleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting!! Loved the tour so far:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Joleen, I hate looking at other people's pictures and I don't know who, what, where.... There is so much to learn about New York..have to make another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree- I had no idea Central Park was that huge, no wonder that they talk about it so much! Thanks for sharing your tour with us!

    ReplyDelete